Started 4 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
justincarlson
Forum MemberPosts: 88Gear list
Like?
Strange blurriness problems with Photomatix Pro
4 months ago

I have Photomatix Pro and have been trying it out using 3-exposure bracketing (RAW, A-priority, tripod) and cannot seem to get sharp results after processing the photos. What is strange is the photos look very sharp within the program after applying the edits, but then when I export the photo as a JPEG it comes out blurry, mostly where the more colorful/contrasty areas are. I've tried many different settings in Photomatix as well. On the photo below I used one of Trey Ratcliff's presets. I did some minor touch ups in Lightroom including sharpening, however that did not seem to do much good. The photo looks great in a smaller size, but when viewing it full size you can really notice the blur, which, for example, is never present in any of Trey Ratcliff's photos that he processes in Photomatix. I can use in-camera HDR and get tack sharp results, but I just can't get the same effects that Photomatix allows.

Final result is directly below, and then a comparison of the photo in-app and directly after being exported are below that.

After processing with Photomatix and Lightroom

In-program view of photo in Photomatix Pro right before exporting.

Photo directly after exporting as JPEG. Why the loss in quality??

justincarlson's gear list:justincarlson's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS HDRsoft Photomatix Pro +1 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow