Comparison Sony 18-55 Kit lens and Sony 17-70/4 Zeiss

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
Ray Maines
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,278Gear list
Like?
I'm Just Guessing, But...
In reply to jasby, 4 months ago

jasby wrote:

I have just invested AU$1000 in a Sony 16-70mm f4 Zeiss, because I wanted the wider end and the longer end for a general travel camera that would also give me better IQ (Europe for 5 weeks in early June), .... Just did the brick wall test with both, and I would like your comments please.

I'll bet all of the photo's are JPG's. If so, they all benifit from in-camera software correction.

My experience is that the PZ 16-50 really isn't that bad of a lens. From 16 to about 30, maybe 35 mm it's pretty hard to see the difference between the two lenses. From 35 up to 50 the Ziess starts to shine.

No doubt in my mind the Zeiss is the better lens, but the small, lightweight PZ lens is pretty attractive as a vacation tool.

EDIT: Ooops. I didn't catch you were talking about the 18-55 mm lens, not the 16-50 PZ. Never mind.

-- hide signature --

Buy books, not gear.
Tacoma, Washington, USA

Ray Maines's gear list:Ray Maines's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow