Can we have a 'pre' or 'code' tag? (Problem with mangled sample code)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Wayne Larmon
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,251
Like?
Can we have a 'pre' or 'code' tag? (Problem with mangled sample code)
3 months ago

Earlier today I copied and pasted some example code from the ExifTool site. I didn't check my post immediately. But when I checked it a few minutes ago, I see that DPReview mangled the sample code. I'll demonstrate:

exiftool -DateTimeOriginal-='0:0 1:30:0' dir

Adjust original date/time of all images in directory dir by subtracting one hour and 30 minutes. (This is equivalent to -DateTimeOriginal-=1.5. See Image::ExifTool::Shift.pl for details.)
http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/exiftool_pod.html#writing_examples

As I am typing this, it looks OK. But this code in my earlier post got mangled after I posted it. If you see a happy face emoticon, then this example is also mangled. [Edit: Yes this example was mangled after I posted it.  Go to the ExifTool page linked above for the proper emoticon-free sample code.]

It would be really nice if we had the equivalent of the HTML 'pre' tag, so we could copy-and-paste (for example) code snippits without them being corrupted.

And, while I am asking, an indented 'quote' would also be useful. To indicate when a paragraph or two of text was quoted from some other source.

Wayne

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow