ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Steve Potton
New MemberPosts: 3Gear list
Like?
1st outing with new FZ200
4 months ago

Hi,

My son and I recently got an FZ200 as a step up from an old compact.

We went for a day out and shot some old cars at Oulton Park. I'd appreciate some feedback on some of the shots we took. I know fast moving cars are not the easiest beginner subject, but I was still a little disappointed with the overall sharpness and focus of the moving cars. We tried with using burst mode with and without continuous focus, using focus lock on the track before the cars come round, iA most of the time with some shutter speed priority shooting. To be honest I lost track of what shots used what modes to try and nail down what worked for me and aim to be a little more methodical next time.

I’ve include some simpler static shots that I’m more than happy with in terms of camera performance for comparison.

Not a very interesting shot, but the car looks reasonable blur free and there is a little blur on the background and wheels. But overall I think the shutter speed was perhaps a little fast and the car looks parked? Should I be switching the auto stabilisation off for panning shots like this? Or using the sports scene mode?

No panning required!

A little soft/out of focus/noisy? I was half pressing the shutter release and pre-focusing on the track. If I get the focus point wrong and am late/early would this cause the “softening”?

With a decent crop this is a great shot, with the Jag being caught by the A40 through the bends. But critically, given the zoom, aperture, shutter speed, should the Jag be in sharper focus?

One of my favorites, but like the previous shot the A35 doesn’t seem as sharp as I’d expect.

Again, slightly soft/out of focus? As a positive, the background is nicely blurred laterally, the wheels are blurred. There is some movement in the shot, but it all looks a little soft. How would I improve this sort of shot?

A couple of statics for comparison.

Overall are these what would be expected in terms of noise and focus given the zoom, aperture, SS & ISO?

Thanks for looking,

Steve

Steve Potton's gear list:Steve Potton's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax Optio A40 Sony SLT-A35
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow