What camera for surf photography, basic.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Northoceanbeach
Regular MemberPosts: 420Gear list
Like?
What camera for surf photography, basic.
2 months ago

If I wanted to get in the water or shoot from a small boat, what would be a good camera under $500?

Not much video.  I don't know enough about the gopro, I've certainly seen pictures from them and the fisheye seems like it works in some situations, but not all.   It also doesn't look like the quality is very good.  I was looking at some just now and I don't know which gopro it was but the blue sky was grainy.  It was shot during the day too. I don't know if it was look resolution or what.  It looked similar to noise.

Do the rugged cameras like nikon aw110 take quality pictures, or do you really actually need that fisheye?

I would like like to get some photos, see how they look, and see how far I want to pursue surf photography.  I'm very good at swimming with fins in good sized waves.  I spent a lot of time bodysurfing sandy beach, makapuu and others.

The thing is, if the pictures aren't at least pretty good quality, I'll probably be unhappy with it, but don't want to go full on crazy in case I'm not good at it, or would just rather be surfing.  I'm also not sure how many people are shooting surf photography.  Is might be saturated and there will always be photographers better than me.

In. Hawaii I see some, especially on the north shore, at the Pipeline/Offthewall stretch.

Northoceanbeach's gear list:Northoceanbeach's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon 1 J1 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +5 more
Nikon Coolpix AW110
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow