45mm F/2.8 pancake lens--I just bought it, now what?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
johnparas11zenfoliodotcom
Senior MemberPosts: 2,204Gear list
Like?
Re: 45mm F/2.8 pancake lens--I just bought it, now what?
In reply to jhinkey, 4 months ago

jhinkey wrote:

My 45/2.8 AI-P is glued to my D800 most of the time even though I have the 50/1.8G.

Why?

It's small - though the D800 is larg-ish, putting the 45P on it makes it much more wearable/storeable/manageable than with the 50/1.8G.

f/2.8 is fast enough 95% of the time.

I like the rendering wide open.

It's pretty easy to focus and it's focusing accuracy manually done is just as good as my 50/1.8G (though it is slower which is not usually a problem).

The focus ring is not too small for my average hands.

Sure the corners wide open are a bit soft, but stopped down to f/5.6 it's excellent except for the very very far corners which in 95% of what I do with it doesn't matter.

I have had to find the sweet spot of the focus confirmation dot for this lens - the dot just needs to start flickering on coming from the near side and it nails the focus.

The one thing I don't like about it is it's flare/ghosting with the sun in the frame, but I can live with that.

There is no reason Nikon could not come out with a set of compact f/4 or f/2.8 AF primes for FX. These will sorely be needed when Nikon comes out with a FX body to compete with the A7(r) . . . some day.

Many of my favorite photos have been taken with the 45/2.8P:

It's a great lens to own with the D800 and pairs perfectly well with my CV90/3.5 SL-II for a compact lens system.

I just received the 45mm P pancake lens.. it is a work of art.. it is silver-- complete with nikon filter, nikon hood and nikon front and end caps with box.. it is truly a collector's item.. I wanted the black one but in the US the black version is more expensive.. and besides in my mind when the Nikon DF cam becomes more affprdable-- you know 5 years form now when there will be a Nikon DF2 or DF3 :-)... I will want the silver DF so the colors would match..
And yes, I have taken photos with it.. the contrast, and sharpness and saturation of the colors/images.. are just great.  Now if only this has Auto Focus...   maybe someday...someday Nikon will make one..

.. I am still wishing for that Canon 40mm STM.. it is now on sale but putting that in a Canon APS-C sensor cam body = 65mm which I find a a little too long for my usual Focal length I use in my photography or intended use.. group shots, scenic scenes etc..

johnparas11zenfoliodotcom's gear list:johnparas11zenfoliodotcom's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D90 Nikon D300S Pentax Q Olympus PEN E-P3 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow