Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Birddogman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,103Gear list
Like?
What do you DO with your images?
4 months ago

I’ve been doing this since the Army taught me how overseas in 1968. Back in the day, what do to with the photos wasn’t an issue – they were all prints. In more recent times, they just end up as files on my hard drive (and back-up, of course). My wife is mostly blind from her MS and stroke and the illnesses have robbed her of the mental capacity to care anyway. My kids are long since grown and moved away. My only functional family these days - my dogs - could care less about photos.

About the only exposure my images get is posting on the two bulletin boards I participate in - an upland hunting bulletin and this one.

This raises two issues. One – I find it hard to get truly constructive criticism, which anyone needs to grow. Two, it’s all beginning to feel kind of pointless. Why put in the considerable time and effort to produce good images that no one other than me ever sees? Generally, it’s been enough for me that I enjoy making and viewing the images, but lately that’s been feeling less satisfying when I come up with what I consider an especially good image.

When I think about having some printed and then framing and hanging them in my house, I get stuck on which ones to pick because there are always new ones, mostly better than the old ones, plus the hassle and cost of constantly cycling through images to hang would be prodigious. So, it never quite happens.

I’m not looking to sell images – don’t really need the money; don't want another business; and that doesn’t sound like it is worth the trouble.

I’ve thought about starting some sort of photoblog, as most of my images have a story with them, as you may have noticed from my posts here. But who would look at that – there are thousands or maybe millions of such blogs.

Does anyone else have this problem? What do you do with your stuff?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Greg

Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow