Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Lilk
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
To buy a D700 in 2014 - Am I crazy?
3 months ago

So I'm rockin' a D300s that I at the time choose due to better AF and ergonomics over the D7000 - I couldn't stand my pinky sliding of the grip giving me the sensation of dropping the camera. And I also really love the AF-ON button.

After a long time of f/2.8 urge i splurged for a 24-70/2.8; the 17-55 felt like a bad investment since a (real) successor to the D300s has yet to appear. (And with hopes to FX in a year or so)

After a couple of events I feel like the 24 mm is to narrow at the wide end and I'd love better ISO - I'm regularly force to use ISO 1600 or above. I feel like AF precision and speed as well as ergonomics are important so I haven't really looked to the D6x0 at all, and a D800 feels both expensive and unnecessary space consuming at 40MB RAW files. (And would it really be worth 3x the money on a budget vs a used D700?)

Also worth mentioning is that I have a 70x50 (cm) print on my wall at home from the D300s, and while yeah; it could be sharper when looked at with your nose against the glass, it looks great! So I definitely think that 12 Mpix would be OK for quite a while. (I don't see myself printing much larger in the near future.)

So to the bottom line: Am I crazy to consider a used (ancient) D700 in 2014?

Thanks in advance,

Lilk

Nikon D300S Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NopeNew
nopeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow