Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jerry-astro
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,404Gear list
Like?
Could use some feedback on a crazy idea
7 months ago

I've had a fairly crazy idea running around in my head for a few weeks, and after a 2 week trip to the Middle East, I might get a bit more serious about it.  I'd love some feedback from the experts that hang around this forum. Forgive me if this is a bit long... will try to not be too wordy:

As I get older, the weight and bulk of my 7D plus lenses (17-55, 10-22, 100L, 100-400) is starting to be an issue, particularly when traveling.  I usually thin out my kit considerably when doing a trip like the one I was just on that didn't include wildlife and carry just my 7D, 17-55, and 10-22.  The FL combo works well, but the bulk and weight of that kit, sitting in a car with other people, hauling from site to site, etc. is getting to be a real pain when traveling and touring.

For wildlife shots, while the 7D and 100-400 kit is still heavy and awkward, I can manage it and it's hard to imagine using a much lighter setup but having to trade off the speed, focus accuracy, etc. of the 7D for that particular usage.

So, I'm considering selling my 17-55, 100L, and 10-22 and using the proceeds to pick up the best mirrorless camera I can find for use during travel (right now, that looks like the Fuji X-T1).  I'd probably outfit the camera with either their excellent 18-55 kit lens or perhaps the soon-to-be-introduced 16-55 f/2.8 they're coming out with midyear (if the price isn't too wacko).  I believe the proceeds would more than pay for the camera and lens.  I would keep the 7D and 100-400L for wildlife excursions and possibly outfit it with an 18-135 STM in those cases where I need to shoot closer subjects.

Sort of feels like the best of both worlds and from a cost standpoint, would probably end up being net zero additional expense.

Is this completely nutso?  I've been a DSLR user now since the 10D and have enjoyed using them.  But the bulk and weight are taking their toll.  This seems like a reasonable tradeoff.  What are your thoughts?

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12
Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow