Moon - how does one get a reasonable shot with consumer kit?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
OceanFroggie
Regular MemberPosts: 398Gear list
Like?
Moon - how does one get a reasonable shot with consumer kit?
7 months ago

How does one get a decent photo of the moon using basic DSLR gear and an inexpensive consumer lens? I've tried various settings. There was a nice atmospheric halo effect last night but it was impossible to capture that without over exposing the moon surface and washing it out. It is amazing how the human eye can see both the halo and moon detail at the same time through the view finder, but I could not capture both in the one shoot and I'm too lazy to take two shots and combine them. An I missing something basic?

I snapped this last night with a D5200 and an old Nikon 70-300mm manual focus lens. Its obviously cropped but no matter what I just couldn't seem to get the focus spot on.

Moon - consumer lens 70-300mm MF

Poor attempt below to capture the atmospheric halo

Washed out

OceanFroggie's gear list:OceanFroggie's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +1 more
Nikon D5200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow