X-Trans vs FF - would I be disappointed?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Giovanni_1968
Senior MemberPosts: 1,175Gear list
Like?
X-Trans vs FF - would I be disappointed?
2 months ago

Almost a year ago I switched from my beloved Fuji S5Pro (have two, one with less than 4K actuations, anybody wants one?) to Nikon FF with a D800 which I love for resolution, detail and operational pace, I like it a little less with regards to AWB, skin tones and size/weight but I am glad to carry heavy stuff with me if I get the results I expect, especially shallow DOF in portraits and the high MP count for landscaping.

Now, back to X-Trans, I would really like to have a light setup for everyday shooting, I spend most of the summer by the sea on open boats and besides being heavy the D-SLR I am afraid of hitting it or being it wet by salt water, also I so much loved the Fuji colors, dunno if X-Trans gets close to what S-CCD used to achieve but if I gotta go MirrorLess it gotta be Fuji (unless it comes as a present in whose case I would not make a fuss ), I already asked about FF OVF vs the X-T1 EVF and it's ok, I think I will get used to it but what about, say, DOF in portraiture (I'd eventually start with the kit lens and then move to fixed focal which I love also on FF being the 50/1.4 my fav and soon to arrive 85/1.8 very probably taking its place), sharpness, handling?

Also, I don't like to play too much with menus, I like the analog operation of the camera, just need to set aperture, ISO and +- exposure compensation, all the other tricks are not my piece of cake (also on the S5Pro I didn't play with film simulation etc, the easiest the better for me) and I think that's the purpose of the camera so that should be a no issue, would I, at the end, regret forking out those money for a new system rather than getting a new lens for my D800 or is it worth the pain picture quality wise rather than just size/weight?

thank you

-- hide signature --

Giovanni
http://www.flickr.com/photos/giovanniaprea/
FujiS5 Nikon D800 Panasonic L1 shooter

Giovanni_1968's gear list:Giovanni_1968's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Panasonic Leica D Vario-Elmarit 14-50mm F2.8-3.5 ASPH Mega OIS +7 more
Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow