E-P5 and "shtter Shock"

Started Oct 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,650Gear list
Like?
Redo comparison scene photos that suffer from shutter shock?
In reply to Andy Westlake, 5 months ago

Andy Westlake wrote:

Overall, it seems to me that the only real point of disagreement left is that I don't think the specific vertical double-image I see with the E-P5 comes from the same mechanism as the 'shutter shock' images I have - the blur is just so much stronger. Here there's one specific point worth discussing:

Anders W wrote:

However, what you said about your own test results in a prior post (i.e., that you see the same blur with the E-P5 when you shoot with as much as two-second self-release or anti-shock delay) rules out, to my mind, the possibility that it is the shock due to button-pressing that is the culprit. As far as I can see, there is no way the "shock" due to button-pressing could last as long as two seconds.

Equally, though, if the shake were due to shutter shock, it should be just as 'fixed' with 2 second anti-shock as it is with 1/8 second. In practice, 2 second anti-shock gives just as much shake as 2 second self-timer. That's difficult for me to fit with a shutter shock explanation.

At this point, while there are certainly other tests which could be done to try to pin things down, it starts to look like a lot of time spent for minimal benefit. What matters here are the two simple observations - the E-P5 seems unusually prone to producing blurred images, and the anti-shake setting looks like an option worth trying for users who notice this and consider it a problem.

-- hide signature --

Andy Westlake
dpreview.com

It's been pointed out to DPReview staff on a number of occasions that multiple studio comparison scene images are obviously degraded due to shutter shock.

Now that DPReview has finally seen the light and admitted that the 'shake' problem with the E-P5 was actually due to shutter shock rather than camera shake caused by pressing the shutter release button, I'd like to know whether there are any plans to retake any of the studio comparison scene photos using parameters that have been shown to minimize the effects of shutter shock.

For context, a quote from the just-updated E-P5 review :

In our original review, we suggested that the root cause of this blurring might be simply that small, light cameras are naturally more susceptible to shake. However, the success of the '0 Sec Anti-Shock' mode suggests that instead it is mainly due to vibrations caused by the physical shutter closing then opening at the start of the exposure. We have removed our previous analysis of the problem, since it is an issue that can now be resolved by use of the latest firmware.

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow