Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gregbartgis
Regular MemberPosts: 206Gear list
Like?
Metabones Nikon G to MFT speed booster
2 months ago

I just got my Metabones speed reducer and have been playing around with it. I want to shoot some tests, but it really looks like the ideal and final of a long line of purchases to round out my Olympus outfit. It actually has a small part to play, but an important one. My legacy Nikon kit includes some of the most important glass in my outfit. These are three Micro Nikkors - 55mm f/3.5, 105mm f/2.8 and  200mm f/4. Then there is the Zeiss 85mm f/1.4. I need the increase in aperture, the increase in sharpness and the decrease in focal length. Using this attachment with lenses of shorter focal length doesn't make sense. My 20mm f/2.8 Nikkor becomes a soso 14mm f/2. Too BIG. My 15mm f/3.5 Nikkor becomes an extremely large 10.8 (11)mm f/2.4ish. My 35mm f/1.4 Nikkor becomes an unwieldly 25.2mm f.95 which is just another mediocre focal length unjustifiable in my kit . The 85mm in particular becomes a 61.2mm f/.95 (or thereabout). It thus becomes a very effective portrait lens and very handholdable in low light situations. The same holds true for the macros. I do a fair amount of photography in conditions where flash will ruin the shot or where things simply happen too quickly and getting the shot is all important. This is a very exciting and very useful tool in my kit. I will add that, along with this adapter I bought a Metabones C mount adapter for MFT and am playing around with my old C mount cine lenses. Most vignette terribly, but they're very sharp. I have an Angenieaux 12-120mm f/2.2 which is particularly intreaguing. There is a Switar 10mmf/1.6 and an Angenieaux 15mm f/1.3 which are a lot of fun. It would seem the vignetting isn't so severe as to render them useless. I also have a Switar 75mm f/1.8 and a Wollensak 4in f/4 (= @ 100mm) which actually cover the full frame. Again, just a lot of fun. Can't wait to post images!  

-- hide signature --

The elimination of the mirror has introduced a new concept into the interchangeable lens digital camera market - compactness (kind of like what happened when Oscar Barnack created the Leica).

gregbartgis's gear list:gregbartgis's gear list
Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +38 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow