Another advantage of the Df, Minimum shutter speed?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
digitalphotographer
Regular MemberPosts: 492Gear list
Like?
Another advantage of the Df, Minimum shutter speed?
4 months ago

Recently I tried using the 50/1.2 AIS on the D800E but was perplexed when shutter speed is constantly stuck at 1/30s in A mode when Auto ISO is on, no matter what aperture setting I set, forcing me to use Manual mode.

It's a rude awakening when I found the following on p.112 of the D800 manual:

"If Auto (available only with CPU lenses; equivalent to 1/30 s when a non-CPU lens is used) is selected, the camera will choose the minimum shutter speed based on the focal length of the lens (auto shutter-speed selection can be fine-tuned by highlighting Auto and pressing 2; for example, faster values can be used with telephoto lenses to reduce blur)."

In contrast, on p.74 of Df manual, it's stated that:

"Note, however, that Auto is available only with CPU lenses or when lens data are provided for non-CPU lenses; if a non-CPU lens is used without lens data, minimum shutter speed is fixed at 1/30 s."

So it seems Nikon Df will be able to respect my minimum shutter speed choices even when non-CPU lenses are used, which is a major advantage, don't you think?

I don't have access to both cameras right now (on the road), but if the above is true, Df is definitely geared for using older lenses. Can someone test and confirm this? Has the new D800 firmware changed this default behavior?

digitalphotographer's gear list:digitalphotographer's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony RX1R Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow