"small" FF mirrorless camera ... big deal?

Started May 13, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 9,509
Re: "small" FF mirrorless camera ... big deal?

nandbytes wrote:

DomD wrote:

I don't get it.

As much as I like smaller cameras (or smaller things in general), I don't get the big advantage to getting smaller FF camera like the sweet Sony A7 unless the lenses also get smaller.

Last I checked, the lenses are the larger part of the weight of a tool set. So shaving a full pound (I'm not even sure you get that much) off the camera, really does not make much of a difference if you are going to attach to it a 2 lbs lense!

Is there something I'm not getting?

Is there a way to get significantly smaller FF lense or are we limited by the size of the large sensor?

Dominique

A7+FE35 fits in my coat pocket and for travel and landscape gives me great quality. Find me a FF DSLR that i can do the same with and we'll talk.

In fact find me a DSLR that I can fit in my pocket and we'll talk.

-- hide signature --

Focus on what you have, not on what you don't.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nandbytes/

To be fair, I used to put my Pentax APSC DSLRs in my coat pocket and there is not that much difference in size between the A7 and KX.

The KX grip sticks out a bit otherwise they are not that far apart (KX is a bit heavier too).

Now after using the A7 (and GX7), the KX grip feels too big.

neil holmes's gear list:neil holmes's gear list
Pentax K-x Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony Alpha 7S Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
T3
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow