ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Michael Fritzen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,721
Like?
Hiking in the mountains with the RX10
7 months ago

Hi,

sorry, no pics yet but some comments about the RX10 in mixed weather conditions on hiking through the Alps for 5 days.

1) Weather resistance: No worries and the shade does its job well for keeping drops off the glass surface - as long it's not too windy. No shooting directly in bad weather but I got some pretty heavy showers. When actually shooting bad weather was the photo to take I took them from some type of shelter or from beneath a tree because getting droplets on the front glass would ruin the photo. Even though the camera / lens barrel got a bit wet and before storing the camera away in the bag I normally wiped off the droplets.

2) Exposure / DR: To sum it up the weather conditions were challenging because a cloudy sky in the mountains normally means still pretty bright (grey) sky whereas the valleys tend to get pretty dark - the more the more pinetrees with their dark greens. Those conditions (shooting RAW) meant too much DR in the scenes to get everything right. Since I'd noticed earlier already, the headroom in the bright lights of the RX10 is pretty tight (significantly smaller than for example my A99) and clipping in the highlights is pretty easy to happen in the given circumstances. This meant an exposure more oriented on the highlights than I'm used to do on the A99. This renders the shadoes in the valleys sometimes too dark but both shadow recovery and lifting applied via local adjustments levels the things. The limited DR and tendency for easier highlight clipping needs to be taken into account also for water / waterfall shots where the exposure needs to be adjusted for the whites in the water to avoid (too much) data losses through clipping.

3) Bulk/weight: Just fine and no hinderance in hike up to 35km per day - hiking though and no real climbing. In addition, an excellent range of FL for such purposes.

4) Onboard flash: It's nice to have it but it doesn't rise enough. The removal of the shade is almost mandatory to avoid shadowing. Things get even worse when doing close-ups like I did with tiny mountain flowers in front of a defocussed mountain background. It's all too easy to get the main subject shadowed by the lens barrel. Of course this would be less an issue on a sunny day with plenty of light. With the RX100 at least it's possible to bounce the flashlight.

5) IS: impressive effective particulary when shooting in the shadows of gorges or in the woods.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Michael Fritzen

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow