What are you going with? 10-18mm or New FE 16-35 for A7/R

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,784Gear list
Like?
Re: What are you going with? 10-18mm or New FE 16-35 for A7/R
In reply to rsurya23, 7 months ago

rsurya23 wrote:

I was wondering how many of you who own a Sony A7/r are buying/bought the 10-18mm or decided to wait for the FE 16-35mm from Zeiss. I am aware the 10-18 can be used between 12-16mm with little PP correction.

From what I have seen the distortion is obscene, and remember the 10-18mm is really only corrected within reason for APS-C sized sensor.  Things like astigmatism and other aberrations will be very large near the edges of the frame.  However, this might be fine if you have the lens already and/or don't mind this (say use it casually).

Otherwise I would buy the full frame lens, the corrections will be better near the edge of the frame, even if it follows trend of other recent ZEISS branded standard zooms and is mediocre, it will still be better than the APS-C lens used on FE.

I have the 35 F2.8 and Kit lens and need an Wide Angle. Also with corporate discounts i can buy the 10-18 directly from Sony for around $660.

Would be great to hear what made you decide! Thanks for the participation!

If you aren't in a hurry I would wait for the new lens.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow