ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mikesauce
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Cannot decide whether to buy a D4S or a D800E for weddings
6 months ago

Hello,

I've been photographing weddings on my own and also as a second shooter for the past two years in conjunction with my weekly 9-5. I do plan to become a full time wedding photographer when that becomes financially possible.

With that being said, I've saved the money that I've made and have always tried to funnel it back into photography related purchases. Below is my current gear that I shoot with at every wedding.

• Nikon D7000
  • 24-70 2.8
  • 50 1.8
  • 35 1.8 (dx)
  • SB-910

I rent a 70-200 2.8 when I shoot my own weddings and am able to borrow the primary shooter's if needed when I second shoot.

I've saved enough money that I am comfortable spending a good bit on some additional gear. I am intent on going full frame. My dilemma is this: buy the D4S and necessary CF/XQD cards for ~$7000 OR purchase the D800/D800E along with a 70-200 2.8, an additional SB-910, and the necessary larger CF/SD cards for around the same price (slightly more).

I know it is always smart to have backup equipment and I'm aware that I've been risking it every time I take a wedding with my one camera and flash. I know that the D800 would be much more convenient for me as it shares SD cards and the battery with my D7000. I am extremely worried about the file size though. I currently edit everything on a 2010 MBP with 8gbs of ram and an i7. I have heard that the D800 files will drastically slow down time in post.

The reason I'm even considering the D4S over the D800 besides the huge file size is the low light performance and improved AF system. The continuous fps is nice but I doubt I'd ever shoot over 6 and that is only ever once or twice a wedding, if that. I don't know how good the D800 focusing is first hand as I've never had a chance to play with one. I've checked my local camera stores and none of them seem to actually stock FX bodies besides a D600 and that is a rarity. So going and checking both out is not an option for me.

Speaking of the D600, I don't consider this an option for me. I'd really like the build quality, the increased flash sync speed, and the focusing system of a full pro body. My D7000 is not the most reliable in low light and I am under the assumption that the D610 has the same AF system? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I really would like some input here. If you've taken the time to actually finish this wall of indecision I appreciate it. My brain tells me to buy the D800 bundle that I have listed above but I want that damn D4S because it just seems incredible. Again thank you for taking the time to read this. If I've forgot to include any pertinent information please tell me and I'll reply or edit this post.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D4s Nikon D600 Nikon D610 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Samsung i7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow