Are you uploading all of your pictures to Flickr?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
steve_hoge
Forum MemberPosts: 51Gear list
Like?
Re: Are you uploading all of your pictures to Flickr?
In reply to reesedee, 3 months ago

I use Flickr for public display of my finished images but not for backup. Others have pointed out the shortcomings of that site as a backup destination.

Personally, I wouldn't use ANY online service for backups - evolving business models and reliance on a fickle broadband provider for access to critical data doesn't inspire confidence that I could always get my data back when I needed it. And easy access to individual files within 100s of GBs of backups is impractical across any reasonable-cost internet connection.

So at our house we have backup storage on internal hard drives and a network file server accessible on a wired LAN (gigabit ethernet) connection. When we leave the house for an extended length of time we take the backup drives offsite.

And while backing up bulk image files is a good, 2nd-level back-stop against catastrophes, I would still be seriously screwed if all I had access to were my unedited RAW images and JPEGs. The edits, project organization and key wording and metadata are actually what make my image libraries useful. So the backups in our Mac-centric household are made of complete filesystems using CCC and library snapshots using TimeMachine.

steve_hoge's gear list:steve_hoge's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZR1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Olympus Stylus SP-100 Canon EOS 350D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow