A6000 vs. A77ii Continuous AF - Very confused

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,671Gear list
Like?
Re: just urging context
In reply to Eamon Hickey, 5 months ago

Eamon Hickey wrote:

I meant no criticism of your pictures, and I have no doubt you've shot lots of great BIF images and will shoot many more, undoubtedly many with the A6000.

I'm just trying to caution people that we need many tests, and we need to keep context in mind. Using an APS-C camera at 200mm, f/6.3 is the equivalent of using a full-frame camera at 300mm, f/9. That's just not that much of an AF stress test.

When I did a lot of bird photography many years ago, I did it with a 500mm f4 lens on a full frame camera, and I was always, always wide open. The tiniest focus error shows up in that scenario. You'd need to be shooting a 300mm at f/2.8 on an A6000 to duplicate that condition. I also always tried to shoot in the hour after sunrise or the hour before sunset, when the light was not that bright. Again, the lower light at that time of day puts more strain on an AF system.

I'm not saying that shooting at f/9 (35mm-e) is wrong. It's fine. And it's worth knowing what the A6000 can do in that scenario. But there are much harder tests and those tests are relevant because a lot (I'd say the large majority) of the best bird photography is done in those harder conditions. It's just about keeping context in mind.

Not a problem - we certainly agree in that respect...I have from the outset in this thread wanted to convey to the OP why the A77II would be justifiably more expensive, and as much as the A6000 is a fine camera, is a different type of tool that CAN shoot action/sports/wildlife, but isn't necessarily tailored for it nor the best tool possible for it.

My only 'defense' was that I wanted to make it clear that the shots I posted so far from the A6000 were never meant to be my finest work - nor necessarily representative of the best the camera can produce - I usually shoot with a bit more of a critical eye on what I keep and display, but in this case with a new camera and tons of people wanting samples and shots of things like action or birds in flight, I felt almost obligated to get out there and try some, since many folks on the NEX forums know I do a lot of birding.  So even though the weather wasn't cooperating and the time of day (noon to 3pm) was far less than optimal for birding, i still went out to get some shots and post examples that were the best I could do for conditions.  It won't satisfy the pixel peepers that want to see ultimate sharpness, but I was more hoping to answer the questions for those who wondered if the AF-C could keep up in such conditions.

Trust me , I'm never offended or worried about critique of my photos - just didn't want that to be taken out of context by some here who might read this thread and not read my posts over there to understand!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
f/8New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow