A6000 vs. A77ii Continuous AF - Very confused

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Eamon Hickey
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,170
Like?
just urging context
In reply to zackiedawg, 7 months ago

zackiedawg wrote:

Also to be fair...only a few of those shots were at F7.1 or more - quite a few were actually at F5.6 to 6.3 - wide open on the lens involved. Depth of field was not massive at 210mm and F6.3

I meant no criticism of your pictures, and I have no doubt you've shot lots of great BIF images and will shoot many more, undoubtedly many with the A6000.

I'm just trying to caution people that we need many tests, and we need to keep context in mind. Using an APS-C camera at 200mm, f/6.3 is the equivalent of using a full-frame camera at 300mm, f/9. That's just not that much of an AF stress test.

When I did a lot of bird photography many years ago, I did it with a 500mm f4 lens on a full frame camera, and I was always, always wide open. The tiniest focus error shows up in that scenario. You'd need to be shooting a 300mm at f/2.8 on an A6000 to duplicate that condition. I also always tried to shoot in the hour after sunrise or the hour before sunset, when the light was not that bright. Again, the lower light at that time of day puts more strain on an AF system.

I'm not saying that shooting at f/9 (35mm-e) is wrong. It's fine. And it's worth knowing what the A6000 can do in that scenario. But there are much harder tests and those tests are relevant because a lot (I'd say the large majority) of the best bird photography is done in those harder conditions. It's just about keeping context in mind.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
f/8New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow