ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SigmaII
New MemberPosts: 10Gear list
Like?
Chromatic Aberration and other questions about SD1 Merrill
3 months ago

Hello!

I purchased a Sigma SD1 Merrill from amazon.com. I live in Uruguay, South America, but I had to fly into USA and it was a perfect time to bring back this incredible camera with me.

The camera itself was shipped from Japan, from the city / district where Sigma main offices are, which added a bit of a thrill, considering the price (less than USD1500 shipping inc).

I gave it some time and I am generally impressed with the resulting quality. But then, I got two questions / concerns that maybe you seasoned users, can throw some light into:

1) The lens which came with the camera is a 17-55mm Sigma DC EX HSM. It includes an optical stabilizer. I assumed it shall be a nicely matched lens for such camera, given that it is shipped with it as a "kit" in the same factory box. But when I take a picture against a bright backdrop (heavily clouded sky) of some bare tree branches (in focus!), I can detect, even at 100% an evident chromatic aberration: The left side of the branch is blue tinted, the right one is red tinted. Is this to be expected ?

2) If I gently move the lens, I can head noises, like if one lens is a bit "free" inside it. I obviously LOCK the lens before turning off the camera. Does the lens make any shaky noise inside when moved ? I got a Nikon D5100 and I am right now moving a lens: there is a noise, but it is almost completely subdued, inside it. The sigma lens is quite more noisy.
I am sure these are pretty much ignorant questions, please bear with me and excuse any english nuisance in my writing

SigmaII (Enrique)

SigmaII's gear list:SigmaII's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D5100 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Nikon D5100 Sigma SD1 Merrill
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow