Need advice: Gear to take on big boat Alaska cruise in July?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,598Gear list
Like?
Need advice: Gear to take on big boat Alaska cruise in July?
7 months ago

Greetings ,

In July, girlfriend and I, will be taking a 7 night Alaska big boat cruise round trip from Seattle, and request your advice and help with what gears to take?

I am a casual snapper in my 80's with mobility issues (use a cane).  I now take mostly "memory pics" with a few keepers printed to hang on wall or photo album..

We will be making stops in Juneau,  Skagway,  Ketchikan, cruising Inside Passage Glacier Bay, and Victoria, B.C.

After having recently spent a few days at the Grand Canyon with the following gears:

• Panny GX1
  • Panny G2 (loaner)
  • 7-14
  • 14-45
  • 45-200
  • Sony RX100
  • Travel Angel CF tripod

I found the kit overly heavy, and didn't  use the  the 45-200 at all.  Only a few pics taken with the 7-14.  And never used the G2 at all.    

Questions:

• I have been considering purchase of 14-140 MKII to  replace 14-45 as walk around lens.  Will the shutter shock issue be a concern using the lens with  my GX1?   Or instead, better to keep 14-45?
  • In addition, to bring either 20mm or 25mm prime (own both) for shooting indoors , low light shots and some video? 
  • Bring or leave 7-14?  Heavy.  Any good reason to carry?
  • Bring or leave 45-200?  Heavy.   Will I need the lens for whale watching tour in  small boat , taking pictures bald eagles, and glaciers from cruise boat?   
  • For shore excursions, I want to go light.  Maybe 14-45 (if I decide to keep) or 14-140MKII (if I decide to acquire)?  And my Sony RX100?
  • Carry only Sony RX100 for social events, dinner, etc.  It will be my backup camera.

Or instead of  14-140,  acquire something like the Sony RX10?  About the same $$$.  Then leave the MFT gears at home?

How much drop off in RX10 IQ from MFT?   Trade off is lighter weight than MFT of equal focal lengths covered?

I will definitely bring my tripod and big size Gorillapod.  Girlfriend will carry.

Other gears I should bring?

Thanks for any ideas and your help.  And yes, I am having a severe case of G.A.S. ( as always when looking forward to an upcoming trip).       :-D.

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow