Love my 5N, but no VF and controls are killing me! Where to NEXt?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AugmentedFourth
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
Love my 5N, but no VF and controls are killing me! Where to NEXt?
4 months ago

So, I've had my NEX-5N since 2011. It takes amazing pictures and it's compact size means that I take with me more often than I would a larger camera. I don't want to sacrifice that.

I've never owned a "real" SLR but I do know how to properly work my camera. (ie. I use the PASM modes) However, after a few years I feel like it is a PITA to get the 5N to do what I want without spending 20-30 seconds fooling around before a shot. It gets frustrating and discourages me form experimenting...especially if I'm with other people and I start holding them up!

Also, I've found that it's harder for me to properly compose shots without a viewfinder. Not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but it seems like it's harder to get a perfectly level horizon using the display! Sometimes even with a wide-open horizon, like on a beach, pictures come out slightly "crooked" and require a bit of PP. It drives me crazy and forces me to actually concentrate on making sure the camera is level when I'm shooting, something that seemed to occur naturally before. (...dunno maybe I'm just crazy!)

Anyway, I have the kit lens and Sigma 19 and 30 primes. So I'm not invested TOO deeply. However, I do think I want to stick with the Sony E-Mounts, the size, IQ and low-light performance rock.

Should I buy a used NEX-7 body or would a 6 suit me? It looks like the 7 has better controls, like I said, I'm tired of digging through menus.

OR

With the new E-mount alphas in the pipe, should I wait and buy a new 6/7 when they are discontinued? I'm not looking to drop a ton of money and so far, the new alpha don't have any killer features that make me swoon...

Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow