A6000 vs. A77ii Continuous AF - Very confused

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Eamon Hickey
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,169
Like?
not nearly enough evidence
In reply to 123Mike, 7 months ago

123Mike wrote:

Oh, it's good though. The evidence have been materializing. Here and there someone does some shooting, and it's good! There is a thread today or yesterday I think, for instance, of a guy shooting birds.

Good enough for what?

A) Birds in flight is not the same as soccer or basketball, and they are not the same as bicycle racing, and all are different than beach volleyball, which is different than indoor volleyball. A camera can be good at one of these thing and not very good at the others.

B) What is your standard? Publication in a national magazine or fun pictures to post on Facebook at 800 pixels wide? The bird shots you mentioned were not critically sharp, for the most part. When you consider that the images were shot at apertures of f/7.1 or narrower on an APS-C camera, meaning they enjoyed a fairly wide depth of field to hide focus errors, that's really not particularly impressive. The pictures were fine for Facebook but would not have made the cut at Audubon magazine.

Now, I'm not criticizing the A6000 -- I happen to know it can do better than those images implied. What I am saying is that it's far too early to claim "it's good enough", and it may be good for birds but not so good for soccer, and "good enough" doesn't mean anything without some context.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
f/8New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow