Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
thornhale
Forum MemberPosts: 54Gear list
Like?
Low sales numbers of Olympus M43s
3 months ago

Well, there was another thread discussing the impending doom of Olympus which was heavily debated (http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53658049). I was going to post there but the "post limit" would have been exceeded. So this is just to say:

1.) "Doom" seems highly exagerated. However, I do agree with the poster that camera makers have to rethink and question everything.

2.) The poster who said something about change in workflow is definitely onto something. Change is necessary or Olympus will go the way of Kodak/the dinosaurs.

Lastly, I wonder if part of the bad sales numbers by Olymus has anything to do (in the US at least) with:

Lack of good access to common MF43 OM-D models. Example: It is virtually impossible to find the E-M10 in any brick and mortar stores. Best Buy doesn't have it in store. If you walk in store, you will only find Nikkon, Canon, and Sony with a little bit of Samsung. Why is this important? Many people want to see cameras in store before commiting to buy one. But because of the lack of access to these cameras, many people have not even heard of MF43s camera. People in this forum are obviously interested in MF43 technology. So this population and I would even argue people visiting this site in general represent only a very vocal minority of the total market.

thornhale's gear list:thornhale's gear list
Olympus SZ-30MR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS
Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow