Needing Help w/ OMD E-M1 AF Tracking Tips for Moving Subjects

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Alex Notpro
Contributing MemberPosts: 682Gear list
Like?
my settings, documented tests
In reply to markdishner, 3 months ago

After some trial-and-error and practice, I've been able to get results that are comparable to my old D7000. Here are two documented tests:

Important settings and comments:

• AF mode: "C-AF TR" and plain "C-AF" work very differently, but both work if used correctly. 
  • Custom Menu A - C-AF Lock should be set to OFF
  • Focus Area needs to overlay the PDAF areas - I now just set mine to the smallest center point to keep it simple
  • Must use 'Sequential L' Drive mode. 'H' mode disables C-AF after the first frame.
  • Face Detection, Full-Time AF - turn both of these off, these settings have a tendency to distract the camera while you wait for the subject to move into position, and then lose time before the first frame can be taken.
  • For the documented tests I used Live View and shot one-handed in order to film with the iPhone in my left hand; results are much better when shooting with the EVF and both hands on the camera.
  • Release Priority must be OFF.
  • IBIS: With the default factory settings, the E-M1 disables IBIS in the Sequential Drive modes. Keep this default, or turn off IBIS completely. IBIS also seems to be disabled automatically at 1/1250s and above. I seem to get better C-AF results when IBIS is not engaged.
  • Lenses: the 42.5 and 14-150 have worked best for me. The 100-300 works best at wider FLs. The 60/2.8 does not work at all.
  • The first shot in a burst is often misfocused
  • Even with C-AF TR, you need to be able to pan the camera and keep the subject near the center of the frame during the entire burst. This takes some practice.
 Alex Notpro's gear list:Alex Notpro's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Apple iPhone 5s +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
RTFMNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow