Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lilBuddha
Forum MemberPosts: 59
Like?
Canon G1X Mark II Review
2 months ago

So, I read the reviews of the pre-production Mark II and bought the camera. I have been using it for over a week and have decided buying it was the correct decision. Whist the just released DP review is fairly spot on, I do not think it tells the whole story, not for me at least. I have both the G1X Mark 1 and the Sony RX100 and they are terrific cameras. I purchased the G1X Mark 1 for those times I did not wish to carry around a DSLR. And then the RX100 for times I wished for a pocketable camera. The Sony has better response and does produce terrific images, but the G1X Mark 1 produces images more to my liking. The tilt screen is brilliant as well.

The Mark II solved much of the response and focus issues. The screen is a mix. I wish it was articulated like the original, I do use the camera vertically, but the touch screen is brilliant! Especially for changing focus. It is the quickest way to select the area of focus, especially on a tripod. And it is quicker for changing functions.

I am glad Canon made the lens wider, but I wish it were even wider still. My favourite landscape lens for my DSLRs is the 17-40. But no built in lens will fit all requirements. One annoying thing about the G1X Mark 1 is, in order to focus at its closest distance, one has to switch to macro mode. Whilst the Mark II seems a little happier in macro, it will focus to its minimum in either mode.

I love the customization possibilities. This lends to a more DSLR like experience. Again, the shooting experience, for me, is superior to the RX100. Having three customizable control wheels and two of them on the lens is better. To me at least. The menu system is quicker to use on the Canon as well.

I think part of my satisfaction is I did not expect it to be anything other than what it is. Nothing will substitute for my DSLR except another DSLR.

My complaints? I would have liked a more updated sensor. And better battery life. I use the optical viewfinder to extend battery on the G1X Mark 1, not possible on the Mark II, sadly. And I wish the screen were fully articulated like its predecessor. Oh, and the manual focus wheel turns much too finely. Take forever to go through its range. But I much prefer it on the lens as opposed to a dial on the rear of the camera.
I will be ordering the optional viewfinder I think. I've yet to find a camera that satisfies me in all situations without a viewfinder.

I did consider the RX100 Mark II, but it retained the same usability issues of the Mark 1. Still, the Mark 1 is a terrific camera, so the addition of the tilting screen is a winner. But no touch.

For each, I suppose how one uses them would determine which to get. Neither choice would be bad.

Again, MY opinion and experience, yours may differ.

Canon PowerShot G1 X G1 X II Sony RX100 Sony RX100 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow