A6000 vs. A77ii Continuous AF - Very confused

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
123Mike
Senior MemberPosts: 4,306Gear list
Like?
Re: Why not just ditch the SLT?
In reply to Stflbn, 6 months ago

Because see you only get all those points with a very few sony lenses, and current offerings have no in body stabilization.

On E-mount you get that limitation as well. Some lenses need a firmware upgrade for pdaf to start working.

You might be correct here. I'm thinking that it *could* be that the A6000 isn't doing it entirely with pdaf alone, and that it is doing cdaf as well. And that in order for the whole thing to work, that the way it ends up having to drive the focus mechanism, requires the lens to move focus full force until it hits that spot after which it might have to backtrack just an iensy bit. You don't see this, but that could be happening. It's *very* effective, because it really does work very well. But doing this with existing A-mount lenses might not work, because of built in tolerances and mechanical play. On A-mount, its lenses may only work well, if the focus mechanism is instructed to make one decisive move and that's it. No backtracking or jittering or homing in. The A6000's sensor does have pdaf, but it might be different enough, where it just can't work with A-mount lenses, for the time being. That's my hypothesis anyway.

still completely unproven if the a6000 focusing works for sports and such, and to use current lenses you need the adapter.

Oh, it's good though. The evidence have been materializing. Here and there someone does some shooting, and it's good! There is a thread today or yesterday I think, for instance, of a guy shooting birds. He threw the camera in wide continuous focus, in which case anything anywhere in the frame that is closest becomes focused. The guy claims that all he had to do is just get the bird in the frame somewhere, anywhere, click, and poof, out comes a nicely focused picture, consistently. That's awesome. No having to worry about focus points, because anywhere in the frame will do. Shooting birds can be chaotic. The moment that bird starts to appear in the frame, the AF is on it. Other cameras do this too, but it's looking to me that the A6000 does it better...

123Mike's gear list:123Mike's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
f/8New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow