123Mike
Senior MemberPosts: 4,306Gear list
Like?
Re: For Mike
In reply to JamieTux, 6 months ago

What seems to be objected to is the dismissive treatment of facts

I'm assuming that this is the one that got Paul (and you?) going:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53672707

My position is this: the list outlines differences, facts. It makes it seem that you're getting a whole bunch of stuff that makes the expense worth it. My take on it is that most of those differences are differences that one can easily live by. So, I took each point, and expressed my opinion on them. And that really got Paul very upset.

So, I'm reading my post again... my message was meant one helluva lot lighter than it was perceived. I'm not seeing anything unreasonable with my responses, do you? Something something has more of this. Ok, but the other one does it well too, and thus it isn't a crushing blow or anything like that. That's been mainly my position.

The flash thing I could have worded differently. More something like "due to the size they had to make a compromise and they could get away with making it smaller and weaker due to the sensor being better than other sensors in the past, and for a quick make-due flash it does the trick, and if need proper flash you have use an external flash anyway" something like that. I then explained about using a fast lens plus a focal reducer, which is something you can do on an E-mount. I find that a creative solution. A few months ago, I did this using an A3000 + Roxsen + Sony DT 35 f/1.8, inside a museum. I took all kinds of photos all without flash, and they came out really good. In the past using an A33 I used popup flash all over. The colors were all blown out. That flash look is awful I find. I find it much more satisfying to use the natural lighting, by beefing everything up where possible - and it *is* possible within limits. In a creative discussion, this gets taken further. But not this time. Right away it had to be restricted to just acknowledging facts. And that would just simply be a series of yeses, or the forbidding to express anything that takes away from those facts.

Anyway. I much prefer the more fruitful more creative strategies. This *is* a photography forum, so people ought to be creative and artistic minded I would think.

123Mike's gear list:123Mike's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
f/8New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow