Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Emphyrio2
Regular MemberPosts: 341
Like?
Fourth Life of 50D
4 months ago

I purchased my 50D refurbished from Canon, so I can't tell you about the first life.

When I bought that camera, I was taking advice from dpreview member suggestions that it was the glass that mattered, so I matched my refurbished 50D with a new f2.8 70-200L.  This combo was great for sports photography, even at night.  I have a treasure trove of shots of my son playing high school and college soccer.

Second Life: Sports Photography

Then I wore out the shutter and moved up to a 7D, a truly great camera.  I had the 50D shutter rebuilt and matched the camera to a 500 mirror lens, which I kept attached almost 100% of the time.  This started my birding & wildlife phase.   Also, it was a fun challenge to work with a manual lens.  The mirror shots are not sharp, and the keeper rate is low, but I have come to appreciate the look.  No pixel peeping!

Third Life: Wildlife

After some time I decided it was time to break out in a new direction, so I had the 50D converted to Infrared.  The shot below is from last weekend, my first full day with my infrared  50D.  Conversion by Lifepixel - they do a fantastic job.  Now it is up to me to get good captures and keep this 50D going.

Fourth Life: Infrared

I much prefer the 7D, but it will be a while until it catches up with as the image count of the 50.  Both cameras are right up there with my film era A-1.  I can't part with any of them.

Photography and nostalgia are closely related!

Emphyrio2

jahphotos.zenfolio.com

Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow