Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Neurad1
Contributing MemberPosts: 964Gear list
Like?
Question for owners of BOTH the E-M1 and E-PL5 cameras
4 months ago

I am making final preparations for a trip to Scotland and assembling my gear. I am taking a Sony RX1 which I will probably use for a large proportion of my shots if my past predicts my future. I am taking an M43 body to use for ILC purposes. My choices are E-M1 or E-PL5. I have an E-M5 which I will not take as it has had sensor problems twice on previous trips.

I will be taking my 7.5mm Bower fisheye and my Oly 9-18, 12-40, and 40-150 lenses. My E-PL5 is a fairly recent acquisition. I have been pleased with its IQ, but have not had enough experience with it to decide between taking the E-M1 and E-PL5.

As I see it, pros of the E-M1 (that I am already confident of) are: better IBIS, better EVF, and weather sealing.

Pros of the E-PL5 are: smaller size/weight. This is no small advantage. We will be doing a lot of walking, sometimes over what is for us fairly rough terrain (I am out of shape, overweight, and too honest).

I am looking for some insight from someone who owns and regularly uses these two cameras that will "tip the scales" and help me decide which of these two camera bodies to take along.

One option would be to take both the E-M1 and E-PL5 and not take the RX1, but the IQ and panoramic shots that I get with the RX1 are something I can't do without.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Neurad1's gear list:Neurad1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX1 RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +30 more
Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow