1DX - Portraits vs. Sports - The 1DX can do both - Next step Mamiya?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
tvstaff
Contributing MemberPosts: 951Gear list
Like?
Re: Why MF?
In reply to qianp2k, 7 months ago

qianp2k wrote:

tvstaff wrote:

I'm leaning toward MF because of some work I did recently with the 1DX, pieces 30X60, would have benefited greatly from the additional resolution. I can't fill my frame completely with certain types of sports I shoot and must crop. I've got amazing stuff that had to be reduced to 4.5MB based on the crop and it's just OK.

Personally I don't believe digital cropping, instead using native longer FL lens. Your two photos seem were taken with 70-200L/2.8 IS II and you claimed you must crop out. Why don't get Sigma 120-300mm/2.8 OS Sport on 22mp 5D3 or 36mp Nikon D800, or even very expensive but damn good 200-400L/4.0 IS/1.4x TC, or 300L II, 400L II, 500L II instead of cropping out? Also we don't know how good of 645Z or 645D with respective lens AF lock-in and tracking speed. With 0.78x crop factor, you'd need even longer lens for similar AOV to frame subject into VF. Maybe better to rent a copy and try first before investing in lots of money. Digital cropping especially over-cropping hits IQ severely even with a MF sensor.

Hi qianp2k,

You make some great points.

This year as opposed to sticking with just the f/2.8 70-200 USM IS II, I'll also be using a f/2.8 300mm USM IS II with a TC 1.4 III if I need it.  Based on my need to shoot by hand I can't bring the 2.8 400mm it's just too heavy.

In a perfect world.... the f/2.8 300mm will do the trick.   I even know that I have to shoot from an avg. 90ft this year.  If I see a 50% increase in resolution, I'll be one happy puppy!

If not... I will move to a MF platform that's sealed well, after July, and then use it in Oct. for Beach Tennis with shorter lenses.  If money were no object I'd have more choices.  For now max 10K on body and 10K on lenses until I learn the format in digital.

BEACH TENNIS

-- hide signature --

Feel Always Humble - "FAH" - You'll Learn More

tvstaff's gear list:tvstaff's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow