I've been shooting RAW for years... not any more! X-T1

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
SaltLakeGuy
Forum ProPosts: 10,630Gear list
Like?
Re: I've been shooting RAW for years... not any more! X-T1
In reply to ScottP123, 5 months ago

Knowing all too well how shots posted on the internet tend to degrade in the first place, I won't comment too harshly on what I'm seeing. I DO agree the Jpeg performance of the X-T1 is above most all I've used to date and that includes top pro DSLR's. HOWEVER as they say "with that said", in cases where there is considerable dynamci range (light to dark differences such as sunsets) shooting in RAW CAN indeed render at least 2 full stops advantage over Jpeg shots. It's just a electro mechanical reality. In many (dare I say most) instances when properly exposed, a Jpeg shot for all intents and purposes can render a file that when printed will be either indistinguishable to possibly even better (due to the wonderful in camera processing) to a RAW shot. Some of your shots show some very odd intense noise pattern, so I'll just chalk that up to the internet compression issues. What I've said stands. If you are not dealing with a truly demanding scene Jpeg is perfectly fine indeed and certainly does make for an easier work flow. With this camera I'd even say shooting both large Jpegs AND RAW is a possible advantage as you can file the RAW file away and just use the Jpegs for ease of processing. if you run across a difficult scene you can tweak the RAW file more. It's a Win Win scenario for sure.

-- hide signature --

Fuji X-T1 Camera, Fuji 18-55 f2.8-f4 Lens, Fuji 55-200 f4-f5.6 Lens, Fuji 23mm f1.4 Lens, Fuji 56mm f1.2R Lens, waiting for the Fuji mount Nissin i40 Flash, Picturecode PhotoNinja, Adobe Lightroom 5.4

SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Epson Stylus Pro 3880
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow