Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
CrisPhoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 657Gear list
Like?
Re: Needing Help w/ OMD E-M1 AF Tracking Tips for Moving Subjects
In reply to Elix, 6 months ago

Elix wrote:

CrisPhoto wrote:

• Use frame rate L (6fps) and never H (11fps). The concept of C-AF does not fit to frame rate H at all (where only the first shot has AF and AE lock) .

Why do you say so? Logic suggests that with H frame rate you would get more frames to choose from compared to H, all within the same focus and exposure settings. That independently if H or L works better for the particular application, that's another story.

???

I assume we talk about C-AF because the OP talked about moving subjects?

Ok, if we talk about moving subjects: As my camera often needs 1-2 missed shots until it predicts the target speed correctly, using frame rate H will give exactly 0 (= zero) sharp shots with moving targets. First photo is soft because subject moved slightly from AF-lock to exposure and all folowing shots are totally blurred. Therefore using mode H will give a lot of frustration instead of plenty sharp shots to choose from. At least in my experience.

These are my typical setings for static/moving subjects:

H + S-AF: When I have static focus distance, I would use frame rate H and S-AF. Typically, I have my camera in A-mode for this.

L + C-AF: When I have variing focus distance, I use frame rate L and C-AF. The camera will adjust focus between shots. Addionally, from the fact that the photos are tack-sharp even if the target is moving between focus lock and exposure I guess that the camera is trying to predict the target speed.

To toggle from S-Af to C-AF quickly, I have configured a MySet2 which replaces the odd "workbook" mode.

As my camera often needs 1-2 missed shots until it predicts the target speed correctly, using frame rate H will give exactly 0 (= zero) sharp shots with moving targets. Therefore using mode H will give a lot of frustration instead of plenty sharp shots to choose from. At least in my experience.

Christof

-- hide signature --

OM-D + Sam7.5, PL25, O60, O75
P12-35, O75-300

CrisPhoto's gear list:CrisPhoto's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
RTFMNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow