Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,003Gear list
Like?
New 70D, just arrived.
4 months ago

My new 70D arrived last evening.  Very similar in menus, controls, and handling to the 60D I sold; but it feels just a bit more solid and with slightly better balance, probably because the body is a little narrower, so the center of mass is closer to my right hand.  So far, just the 18-135 STM lens, and a refurbished 70-300 IS.  I bought it for two features it had over the 60D - automatic lens aberration compensation (corner shading and chromatic aberration) and the micro-adjust feature.

My first experience with micro adjust; but it only took about 45 minutes to zero in both lenses at both Wide and Tele.  I used the Focus Test Chart V2.00,  Copyright Tim Jackson, 2004.  http://FocusTestChart.com  and set it up per the instructions at 45 degrees.  I viewed the images using Zoom Browser and pixel peeped a bit to be sure to get the out of focus lines equally spaced (and equally OOF).

Just a few shots so far besides the test charts, all shot indoors as it was late when the camera arrived and dark by the time the battery charged.  This morning it's raining.  So, very limited photo ops.  I'm really pleased with the good definition and low noise at ISO 6400, even with NR set to Low.

I've had several Canon DSLR's (20D, XT, XTi, 30D, XSi, another 30D, a very short lived 50D, the 60D, and now the 70D).  I've been happiest with the mid-sized models, and I'm sure the 70D and I are going to be very good friends.  I've also owned a Nikon D90, and a Sony SLT-A57 and didn't much care for either one - we just didn't become friends.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 70D Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow