ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mark Scott Abeln
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,076Gear list
Like?
D800 versus D800E
6 months ago

Greetings,

While I am not (yet) in the market for a new camera, I would like to hear about experience with the D800 versus the D800E.

With regards to practical photography, does the inclusion or lack of an antialias filter make any particular difference? I bring this up because of some highly technical threads over at the Photographic Science and Technology forum:

Here are my general impressions:

• Under ordinary shooting conditions, that is, hand-held images with ordinary optics where there might be a bit of motion blur, lens softness, shallow depth of field, etc., not having an AA filter might make sense. Why blur an image more than it needs to be?
  • With exceptional optics, precise shooting technique, and a need to have very large and pristine images, an AA filter might be good to reduce demosaicing artifacts.

But my knowledge is largely theoretical. What do you see in practice? Does the difference in models matter?

If you are a D800E shooter, do you find that you occasionally or frequently get aliasing artifacts such as moiré patterns or color fringing not due to chromatic aberration in lenses? If so, do you find that some raw converters handle it better than others, or do you otherwise have to do some special processing? Any other observations?

If you are a D800 shooter, are you satisfied with your images or are they a bit soft in detail? Do you have any other particular problems?

If you have both, do you tend to use one camera in one situation and the other in other situations, or are they basically interchangeable for you?

Thank you very much!

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Rokinon 85mm F1.4
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow