A6000 vs. A77ii Continuous AF - Very confused

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
123Mike
Senior MemberPosts: 4,306Gear list
Like?
Re: A6000 vs. A77ii Continuous AF - Very confused
In reply to JamieTux, 6 months ago

Putting hyperbole away for a while - here is someone's real world report of A6000 AF tracking (vs a high end Canon at one point) http://verybiglobo.blogspot.cz/2014/05/sony-alpha-a6000-worlds-fastest-af-part.html

He says: "I think (but I am not sure) that Lock-On AF is using only Contrast detection AF."

I think he doesn't know the camera well enough to make claims about it. I'm learning myself still, but it seems to me that when you use DMF mode (this lets you start with auto focus, and then you can fine-tune it by rotating the focus ring - at which point it will automatically show a magnification and focus peaking), so in DMF it will focus using CDAF. Presumably that's more accurate, and is allowed to be slower because in that mode it is your intention to fine tune. You can tell that the initial focus has that back-and-forth CDAF based hunting to home in on the focus. I suppose that that just is fundamentally more accurate than PDAF can ever be. But it's slower. In the other focus modes, you don't see this, and it'll just focus in one go, without the hunting and seeking and the homing in.

123Mike's gear list:123Mike's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
f/8New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow