D610 RAW frustration (actually Adobe frustration)

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NikonNature
Contributing MemberPosts: 729Gear list
Like?
D610 RAW frustration (actually Adobe frustration)
7 months ago

Okay this is part rant, but mainly intended to save others from the headaches I am currently experiencing.

Long story short: D610 requires latest versions of PS/Lightroom, which in turn require at least Windows 7.

If you are thinking about subscribing to the Creative Cloud, beware that the newest versions of Photoshop and Lightroom require Windows 7 or better (from a PC perspective). If you are a D610 user, only the latest versions will recognize your raw files. So if you are running Vista or XP, your only option from Adobe is their DNG Converter. It's free, but it adds an extra step and time to your workflow, and takes extra space on your hard drive if you keep the raw files.

I'm sure there are other RAW converters out there, but I don't know what they cost or how they impact your workflow (or how good they are). It seems a shame that buying a new camera also requires upgrading your PC or at least OS and editing software.

Curious what others have done... or am I the only one still on Vista?

NikonNature's gear list:NikonNature's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II
Nikon D610
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow