Beautiful, Colorful Beasts of the Wetlands (A6000)

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 22,150Gear list
Like?
Beautiful, Colorful Beasts of the Wetlands (A6000)
7 months ago

Back to my normal wildlife and wetlands posts, now that the 'tests' are over from the A6000 - from this point on, I want to just get back to sharing the various birds and beasts out in the wetlands from my weekend walks.  Some may be in flight, mixed in with others...in this case, all the birds and beasts are grounded.  Though I was again cursed with mostly-cloudy overcast skies, and occasional bits of sun breaking through, the overcast light isn't as bad when shooting birds sitting as the nearby leaves provide some warm reflection and the less-contrasty light can help avoid blowing highlights as much - occasionally, the ISOs have to go up a bit, but fortunately the A6000 seems to handle that just fine.  All shots here are with the 55-210mm lens, and the DH1758 teleextender combo, as most here are familiar with - all shot in JPG and unprocessed but for cropping and resizing.  Here goes!:

A male red-winged blackbird up on the rail 'yelling' at me, as he had his partner sitting on a nest nearby (ISO800)

A female grackle feeding off some leaves (ISO1000)

A young great blue heron, off on his first solo hunt for fish

Red-winged blackbird babies, mouths open as they wait for momma with some food

She heard their calls, and arrived with a meal

A colorful basilisk lizard takes a load off his feet - hanging out on a branch in the shade (ISO2500)

Another basilisk lizard - this one putting on some green color and showing that head-ridge - watching me cautiously from the handrail (ISO1600)

Quite a handful when your babies are as big as you!  The two young anhingas on the right are fighting to get at whatever meal mom brought back in her stomach (ISO500)

Baby birds always are fluffy, fuzzy hairballs - as they grow larger and start to get their real feathers, they still have a lot of that fuzz hanging around the edges - I like when they're in this transition.  This is a young tricolor heron

A great blue heron doing the old 'satellite dish' routine.  You see this often with these birds - the old 'delta wing' sunning position, which gathers up warmth from the sun on their body

Comments, questions, critique welcomed as always!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow