Re: A6000 vs. A77ii Continuous AF - Very confused
In reply to Corpy2, 4 months ago

Corpy2 wrote:

JamieTux wrote:

Corpy2 wrote:

VirtualMirage wrote:

Corpy2 wrote:

Now I'm really confused.

I needed another camera for certain shooting situations since my E-M1 really does not do great continuous Autofocus (though it's pretty darn godo in other ways). So I was thinking of the upcoming A77ii. But now I see the A6000 has virtually the same specs. Same APS-C, almost same frame rate, and (maybe?) same continuous autofocus capability.

So what's the deal here? The A77ii is almost double the cost of the A6000.

Can someone please explain? What's the dif?

• Bigger body, more materials.
  • Better build quality with weather sealing.
  • IBIS.
  • Higher resolution EVF.
  • Better LCD screen (RGBW vs RGB).
  • LCD screen has more articulating points.
  • Dedicated PDAF sensor allows continuous AF even while the shutter is in action.
  • Higher frame rate.
  • More buttons, dials, and inputs.
  • Faster max shutter speed (1/8000s vs 1/4000s).
  • Greater flash sync speed (1/250s vs 1/160s).
  • More powerful built-in flash.
  • Probably a longer shutter life (150,000 vs speculated 100,000).

There are probably a few other things I am missing, but this is a quick run down.

Thank you.

What does this mean: "Dedicated PDAF sensor allows continuous AF even while the shutter is in action"?

Hi Corrpy - what it means is that the PDAF sensor in the A77II is separate to the imaging sensor - it works from the light refelected by the SLT mirror whereas the A6000 is using the iamging sensor itself.
So when the shutter (not shutter button) is used the A6000 has to have a break (like a traditional camera would but for different reasons.
As the A77II is using a different sensor the shutter has no effect on it.

Thank you. That's certainly a detailed response. But in practice, what does it mean to someone who wants to shoot continuous at high speed of moving objects? Waht is the final difference based on what the a6000 is and what the a77ii is spcced to be?

Hi Corrpy - I can't answer that for you - it will depend on lots of factors - in the scenario you asked Mike about (centre focus - subject moving straight towards you) I found the Panasonic GH3 to be among the best I've used though.

Putting hyperbole away for a while - here is someone's real world report of A6000 AF tracking (vs a high end Canon at one point) http://verybiglobo.blogspot.cz/2014/05/sony-alpha-a6000-worlds-fastest-af-part.html

But back to your question - the reason that no one can answer it or even give you a realistic best guess is because the AF system of the A77II is completely new - it's not a recognisable relative from anything that has gone before.

Paul (Virtual Mirage) gave you a spec sheet answer (the A77II can have the PDAF sensor on the whole time) - I think that even ignoring that the A77II will be better for tracking than the A6000 as this is what Sony appear to have been concentrating on with the A77II - whether Sony like it or not it will be measured against a whole different class of camera and AF system than the A6000 is (it has lenses that are designed for PDAF for a start).

JamieTux's gear list:JamieTux's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
f/8New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow