Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rsf3127
Forum MemberPosts: 66Gear list
Like?
Sony should rethink its lens prices
5 months ago

Canon has recently launched 2 wide angle zooms for FF and APS-c, the latter is the EF-S 10-18mm F4.5-5.6 IS STM, which will cost 299 USD.

As of today, a similar lens for the E-mount costs 749 USD and a similar lens for the A-mount APS-c bodies would cost 748 USD. The the 35mm 2.8f FE lens is priced ridiculously high for a lens of that FL and aperture and a carries a blue badge to justify the price even if the IQ is very similar to a 99 USD Sigma EX DN.

Even used lenses from third party manufacturers in a-mount are more expensive than their Nikon or Canon mount. Just take a look at Ebay. Usually the price difference is not small, maybe for its rarity.

This has forced me to go for adapted lenses, which can be fun, but are not as convenient and usually not as technically good than a native mount lens. And MF poses a problem when shooting moving subjects. Besides that, MF lenses have raised in price and even average lenses have been sold for silly prices. For example, a Minolta MD 24mm 2.8 in good condition is more expensive than an a-mount counterpart.

That really bothers me. I hope the Sigma or Tamron come up with affordable glass ASAP for the FE mount. I cannot conceive going back to a dslr after using mirrorless cameras but the lens issues are really annoying.

-- hide signature --

Gabriel

rsf3127's gear list:rsf3127's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A35 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) Macro +6 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow