A6000 vs. A77ii Continuous AF - Very confused

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,861Gear list
Like?
Let me put it more simply...
In reply to Corpy2, 5 months ago

It all comes down to two different body styles, in two different classes of camera.  The same question could come up when comparing an entry-level Nikon body using the same sensor as their semi-pro APS-C model, and even borrowing some of the same focus technology - but the semi-pro model costs $2000+ while the entry-level body costs under $1000.

The A6000 is a compact mirrorless system camera - one of the finest Sony ever made for sure, and likely one of the fastest and best tracking of any mirrorless model.  It also has a great evolution of controls for enthusiasts, and yes, it can track fast motion very well indeed.

The A77II is a semi-pro type model - it's meant to be big, heavy, solidly constructed, with lots of direct controls on the body for those who know their settings and need quick access to them, it is weather sealed, more durable for bumps and bruises, and has an advanced focus system that works differently from that of the A6000 - that doesn't always mean the focus system itself will track better - that's unknown until tests arrive - but it will generally offer that tracking ability with a little more direct user control and settings options, and more importantly through a much larger selection of advanced lenses, including older lenses, which are designed specifically for sports, wildlife, and other action.

It doesn't always come down to pure performance as a single measurement - maybe the A6000 ends up tracking a moving subject at the same speed and ability as the A77II - who knows?  Even if it did, it doesn't mean the two systems are a dead heat - they are still very different systems meant for different needs.  Consider this:  A compact car has a special 'sport' model for $30,000 with a highly-pressurized turbo system attached to its 4-cyl engine...and it's really shockingly quick in 0-60MPH times - on the order of 5 seconds.  And there's a high-end German sports car with a big 8-cyl engine that costs over $100,000 - but gets roughly the same 5-second 0-60 time.  A person looking only for 0-60 times, and nothing else, would wonder what makes that German supercar worth 3-4 times more than the little sports compact.  But someone looking for the quickest performance in 0-60 times at the cheapest price can overlook tons of things and just get that compact car...while someone else may value the better design, better build, better materials, more luxury features, better top speed stability, better handling, better braking, AWD capability in bad weather, better resale value, and so on and so on.

There are, strangely to my mind, many here in the Alpha forum who seem to really despise the e-mount cameras and like to insult or ignore them (as if Sony users don't have to deal with enough crap from Canon & Nikon fanboys, now there's infighting within the ranks too)...and some e-mounters are mirrorless defenders to the death and brush off the Alpha A-mount as old or dead tech.  The truth is that they are two different systems - not having to directly compete with eachother, that have some crossover abilities or features, but two different approaches.

I own both a Sony DSLR, and the A77II which may be on my list to replace my A580, and the A6000, which I find to be an excellent camera.  The two in my mind only have a small overlap - I shoot action, birds in flight, with both systems and the A6000 is the first mirrorless I've gotten my hands on that can honestly match a DSLR for continuous focus of fast moving subjects.  Yet the greater long lens selection, the larger body that offers more direct control and better balance with big lenses, the weather-sealing and more durable shutter life and build made for heavier use, longer battery life, stabilization in body that works across all my older lenses...that still makes a DSLR/SLT body something I want in my collection, and would keep my A-mount as my primary sports/birding camera, with the A6000 an excellent lightweight second body with a very competitive focus system, but limited lens selection which I intentionally keep on the lighter side so I have an option to lighten my load.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
f/8New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow