A6000 vs. A77ii Continuous AF - Very confused

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
123Mike
Senior MemberPosts: 4,306Gear list
Like?
Re: A6000 vs. A77ii Continuous AF - Very confused
In reply to Corpy2, 5 months ago

You have the a6000. How does it do a simple task like continuous AF using the center point aimed right at the subject, when the subject is moving towards you, away from you, or random motion? If ok, can you do it at the top speed of 11 fps, or do you have to slow it down?

In other words, if you can succeed in keeping the subject in the center of the frame, can you keep it in focus? And is your suggested 18-105 f/4 G autofocusing fast enough to do this?

You can pick a focus point, in which case you can set it to continuous focus on that point. It will do that 11fps full resolution and it will keep up with the focus even if the subject moves towards or away from you.

You can also pick a focus zone, where the nearest point anywhere in that zone is kept in focus.

Or wide, where the nearest point anywhere in the frame at all, is continuously kept in focus. This is great for shooting birds in the sky. No more focus and recompose. Just point the darn thing, and anything in the frame is in focus. It becomes a zero brainer in that case. It'll do that at 11fps as well. It's not for nothing that, setting the A77ii aside, the A6000 is the fastest of all cameras, or so they claim. I don't know if that is true, but it *is* fast I can tell you that. The nice also is that the focus point are all over the frame. Not just a limited set of points. With the previous cameras, it was really annoying, because you had only a limited set of points to work with. It's now all over the frame.

There is another cool feature. Lock on focus + start with shutter. What happens there is that the moment you focus something (in any mode above or any other focus mode), it will start tracking that point, and it can be set to keep that point in focus continuously. This is great if you have lots of things in a scene, and you wish to specifically track your kid or pet running around. There you'd set focus on center, then focus, and poof, a green tracking box appears and hugs around the subject. From that point, so long as it can reasonably track that subject, it will keep it in focus. The subject can move towards you and move away. So long as you see that box still up, it continues to track it. You can keep on bursting away and that subject will remain in focus. At up to 11fps again.

Also, do you know how the Sony 55-210 4.5 to 6.3 would do for my scenario?

Many of those lenses need their firmware upgraded, which is a process of running firmware upgrade software on your computer with the camera and lens attached. After that, allegedly, it's fast too. How fast I don't know. I know the 18-105 f/4 G is fast. I thought the 18-55 kit lens is fast as well.

Oh and all this tracking and everything, works with apertures wide open all the way to at least f/10 thereabouts.

123Mike's gear list:123Mike's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
f/8New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow