Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JimC1101
Regular MemberPosts: 411Gear list
Like?
Metering with M mode using onboard flash
4 months ago

I have a K-30 and a Metz 52, which is a great flash by the way, but I think the problem I get is universal among all cameras and not just my K-30. I shoot manual 99.99% of the time and when I meter with flash onboard, I press the green button to meter and it naturally shows underexpose to the maximum. When I take the pic, it in many cases will slightly overexpose with the first attempt and I need to adjust in my shutter or aperture. Problem is that it is to the max showing to underexpose on the meter but since it is already showing max, I need to reduce in my head by number of stops to reduce to get the correct exposure since the VF meter is already maxed out. It would be better in my mind to show it as in the middle of the exposure bar based on green button metering and I would be able to see how many stops I can see to reduce. I usually just change to AV which is fairly accurate but was just curious on how others are doing in flash when metering in M mode.

-- hide signature --

Jim

JimC1101's gear list:JimC1101's gear list
Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +1 more
Pentax K-30
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow