Veteran MemberPosts: 6,772Gear list
Like?
Re: Using NEX-5, concerned about feel of a6000
In reply to bigley Ling, 2 months ago

bigley Ling wrote:

pixelpushing wrote:

bigley Ling wrote:

pixelpushing wrote:

How much better photos do you get with a better 'feel'?

Well, you FEEL that you get better photos, and that's more important than whether or not  you actually get better photos.  No, wait, that's not right....

Depending on the user, feel can be extremely important! Controls, ergonomics all make the tool easier to use. Also there is feeling and emotion that goes into capturing moments, and if the user is happy, it will be reflected in the composition, etc.

Not talking about controls or ergonomics, just the materials, which is what we're really discussing.

Each camera has slightly different controls too, not just plastic vs. metal.

I handled an A5000 today. It did not feel one iota 'better' to me in my hands. I couldn't detect any metal at all, in fact the plastic seemed a tad cheaper than the A6000.

The NEX-6 has a thin metal skin on top, but otherwise there's very little difference as far as I'm concerned with respect to quality, build, feel.

As I mentioned earlier, the Nex-6 seems lighter than the Nex-5, which I think is a better experience.  It still feels "solid", it's just not as heavy.  There is a difference, though, and it might matter to some people.  I prefer the lightness, but the heavy Nex-5 does exude a feeling of quality, of something that will last, as some have posted.  I think that might be a bit of an illusion, though.  I expect the Nex-6 to last as long as the Nex-5.  I'm also sure that internally, there's a metal frame.  My experience with cameras and lenses with plastic has been positive; they don't typically make expensive cameras with cheap plastic.

Either way, if you're such an aesthete that you get an emotional charge from a metal that it allows you to take superior pictures, why are you messing with anything but a Leica or slumming it with Fuji?

Well part of the "feel" has alot do to with ergonomics as well as materials. That combined with controls add up to the overall experience.

If you look back at Muga's original starting post, it is mentioned about the a6000 feeling hollow, plus, the mention of the grip not fitting into Muga's hands as well as the Nex 5. It is not all about materials.

If the grip doesn't feel right, then that could be a big problem right there.  Why not?  Although, I found that with the Nex-5, your  hand has to sit a bit differently than maybe it would on a big DSLR, I find it easy to get used to.  Both the 5 and 6 have enough "hook" in the grip to let it dangle from my fingers (although I also have wrist or neck straps for safety).

I am pretty sure alot of us would love to use Leica gear if we could afford it.

Some of us would just think it's perhaps a bit much.  Would you really want this new Leica than a Sony?   I think the comment about Fuji might be right-on as well.  For some, the ergonomics should make Fuji much more attractive than this new Leica.  Maybe that's the differnece between ergonomics and aesthetics?  I dunno.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow