Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
123Mike
Senior MemberPosts: 4,306Gear list
Like?
Re: A6000 vs. A77ii Continuous AF - Very confused
In reply to VirtualMirage, 7 months ago
  • Bigger body, more materials.

Which makes the A6000 lighter to carry.

• Better build quality with weather sealing.

Weather sealing is nice. But the build quality of the A6000 is pretty decent.

• IBIS.

Lens based OSS works better than IBIS.

• Higher resolution EVF.

A6000's EVF is just fine.

• Better LCD screen (RGBW vs RGB).

I'm an 100% LCD guy myself, and I would appreciate that. I can set the LCD of the A6000 to "outdoor" more, but at times I wish it was brighter.

• LCD screen has more articulating points.

LCD screen of the A6000 is done just fine.

• Dedicated PDAF sensor allows continuous AF even while the shutter is in action.

A6000's sensor based PDAF keeps up just fine, even at full burst

• Higher frame rate.

12fps vs 11fps? Pretty much the same.

• More buttons, dials, and inputs.

A6000 has plenty of button. Also, its menu layout is very good, and the Fn function is very helpful.

• Faster max shutter speed (1/8000s vs 1/4000s).

True, but how often would you need faster than 1/4000s though?

• Greater flash sync speed (1/250s vs 1/160s).

Is that really important?

• More powerful built-in flash.

True, but the A6000 needs less flash power due to its better sensitivity. Besides, it's much more fun to avoid flash altogether using a focal reducer with a fast legacy lens. Eg. a 50mm f/1.4 lens becomes a 35mm f/1.0 lens... That's bright where you can avoid flash in pretty low light conditions.

• Probably a longer shutter life (150,000 vs speculated 100,000).

Nah.

There are probably a few other things I am missing, but this is a quick run down.

The A6000 with 18-105 f/4 G lens is a great combination. The video is awesome on it. Very low light video capabilities, and you can set the aperture from wide open to like f/10+ and still retain continuous auto focus. For stills, the number of pdaf + cdaf auto focus points are very high and they're *all* over the frame. You can select wide area continuous focus mode which capture super high action very effectively. There are a bunch of other new things, that the A77ii may or may not have. Lock on AF with shutter for instance. What happens there is you focus on an object, after which is starts tracking it automatically and it won't lose it anywhere in the frame. You can then recompose and burst at your heart's content. The subject can move closer or further, and the continuous AF will track it perfectly, even at 11fps shooting.

The A77ii may be also a great camera, but it's not going to crush it by any means.

123Mike's gear list:123Mike's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
f/8New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow