Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
plasmaj
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Another camera choice decision
7 months ago

Hi - like in many other threads - longtime lurker, first time questioner.

I am considering moving to an ILC, largely due to the fact we are expecting a child in a few months and would like to be able to take better family photos. I would also use it some for hiking (landscapes) and random other events (baseball games, etc)

I am mostly considering an E-M10 and an A6000. I am posting in this board since I am currently leaning toward micro 4/3 (though this shifts every few hours). In either case, I would get the basic portrait lens (45 mm 1.8 and 50mm 1.8 respectively). The total combined package price is fairly similar.

Here is my list of pros for each one:

Olympus:
-IBIS
-Better OOC JPEGs ( this is important to me since I do not intend to use RAW often)
-Good lens choices
-Touch screen
-More accurate focus (I see a lot more focusing issues on the Sony board than here)

Sony:
-Continuous AF (more important when the baby grows)
-Better grip (much more comfortable in my hand)
-In camera panorama
-Somewhat better high ISO
-Shallower DOF with the portrait lens

Is there anything important I am missing?

I just bought an LX7 last year on a good deal so could theoretically get by with that for a time.

Or alternatively, I could just go with a PM2 right now to see how I like the system before diving in - and save several hundred dollars since the image quality seems similar to the E-M10.

Any thoughts/advice appreciated.

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow