ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pedrocalazans
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Need help deciding which camera to buy!
2 months ago

Hi there,

Long time lurker here (the forums have great information!) and finally decided I want to get more serious about my photography hobby.

But since I really cant make up my mind in what camera to buy, I tought I might ask for some help from you knowledgeable people.

Here´s some background: I´ve always been a P&S user - wouldnt dare to call me a photographer yet - but now that my wife is pregnant, I want to learn how to take better pictures, so I decided to get my first ILC system.

I´ll be mostly taking pictures of my family (my baby and my nephews - ages between 2 and 5) along with my dog, with some general shooting (landscapes and etc) when travelling.

I live in Brazil where camera selection is short and prices are really absurd, but I will be in the US for a few days next week, so I need to make a quick decision on what equipment to buy, knowing that I won´t an opportunity to buy lenses and whatnot in the near future (iust to giuve you an idea, in Brazil the SEL50f18 alone sells for around US$ 700 !!!).

My budget is around US$ 600 (plus shipping and taxes) for the whole equipment, but I could maybe stretch it to around US$ 700 (don´t tell the wife!) if that would make for a much better kit overall (more lenses anyone?).

So with all that in mind. In my situation, what deal would you get?

1) Sony NEX-6 + 16-50mm Lens + (Like new) SEL50f18 for family portraits

Total = US$ 725 (kit + prime)

2) Sony NEX5T +16-50mm Lens + 55-210mm Lens + 64GB Card + Backpack + Extra Battery + Shutter Remote + Tripod+ Tele/Wide Lens Kit

Total = US$ 699 (kit + tele w/ everything else)

3) Sony A6000 + 16-50mm lens

Total = US$ 799 (kit only)

4) Olympus PEN E-PM2 + 14-42mm Lens + 40-150mm Lens + Bag + 8GB Card + Refurbished 17mm f2.8 lens - 3 lenses! for all kinds of photos.

Total = US$ 539 (w/ kit zoom + tele + pancake lenses)

5) Olympus PEN E-PL5 + 14-42mm Lens + 40-150mm Lens + Refurbished 17mm f2.8 lens - 3 lenses! for all kinds of photos.

Total = US$ 639 (w/ kit zoom + tele + pancake lenses)

Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow