Experiment with one of my favorite subjects.....

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Lin Evans
Forum ProPosts: 15,638Gear list
Like?
Re: Experiment with one of my favorite subjects.....
In reply to larryj, 3 months ago

It's a cool place isn't it? That's where I'm moving sometime later this year. Sherry and I made literally hundreds of trips there and got to know lots of the people who live in the area. I just got back from a trip to look at real estate and found the perfect place. Hopefully it will still be available when I get sold out here. When I was a scout, I always wanted to go to Philmont but it was over our budget. We did travel there several times and really always loved the area. One of my favorite western singers, R.W. Hampton lives a half mile up the road from a little ranch I looked at. He and his family are incredibly nice people - I messaged them on FB and his wife Lisa answered immediately. He's going to be at the Grand Encampment Cowboy Gathering at Encampment, WY in July this year - think I'll go catch the show since I might end up being his neighbor.

The bear problem is fairly severe in Cimarron this year. They don't publicize it but had to kill eleven bears in town over the past year. In the little motel I stayed at with my dog last week, the owner has lion and bear hounds. One bear got into the house with an older lady who was bed-ridden. He scratched her up a bit but nothing serious. She passed away later, but it had nothing to do with the bear. People have to learn to use bear resistant containers for trash because the drought has brought them into town looking for easy fare. It's estimated that there are probably around 400 or more bears in the immediate area. About 150 on the Philmont Ranch, but then the Ex UUBar is 130,000 acres and between the Chase and Clearview ranches and Ted Turner's 580,000 acre spread there are lots more. It's great for the photographer. When I reached the first ranch with the realtor, there were a dozen deer lounging in the yard around the house. While we were standing in the yard talking, a red fox came sauntering by with a ground squirrel lunch in his mouth followed by a big crow telling him off - LOL. Saw lots of hawks, a couple Golden Eagles, coyotes, elk, deer, wild turkeys, etc. It's definitely a wildlife photographer's paradise there.

Best regards,

Lin

larryj wrote:

Nice photo Lin: My twin brother spent 2 weeks at the Philmont Scout Ranch when we were in Junior High School. Lots of memories there. Thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
larryj
If you can see the light, you can photograph it
Quote from Myron Woods

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow